Thursday, December 16, 2010

Album: Witchcraft - "Firewood"


This used to be one of my favorite things to listen to and now I'm rediscovering it.

Witchcraft are as mournful and hopeless as a doom band but have the chops of a 70's heavy rock band, and their album "Firewood" could easily be mistaken as a hidden gem from the era if you didn't know this was released in 2005. There are so many reasons to love what Witchcraft is doing here - the throwback to 70's heavy rock (which is one of my favorite things to see in modern bands when it's done well) and blantant Pentagram influence being the main ones in my books; in fact, they do a wicked cover of "When the Screams Come" on this album that will make your blood boil. They somehow even incorporate flutes and acoustic guitars on this release and manage to make it sound ethereal, not cheesy. The raw emotion and occult imagery of this album make it a gem. (...and those riffs, aye!)

1. Chylde of Fire
2. If Wishes were Horses
3. Mr Haze
4. Wooden Cross (I Can't Wake the Dead)
5. Queen of Bees
6. Merlin's Daughter
7. I See a Man
8. Sorrow Evoker
9. You Suffer
10. Attention!
11. When The Screams Come (Pentagram)
12. If Crimson Was Your Colour
13. I Know You Killed Someone...

No comments:

Post a Comment